Friday, December 18, 2015

The Controversial Babe


Jesus, the peaceful baby Christmas commemorates, has been a source of conflict over millennia. He is called the Prince of Peace, yet people still argue about him and his teachings. He once said, "do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword", yet he also said to his followers, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid". He knew that the things he said would stir up trouble and division (a sword), but he promised impossible peace to those who believed him and obeyed his words. Whether one celebrates Christmas or believes in the one at the heart of the holiday, the tiny babe deserves attention because of the truth-claims he later made; calling himself "The Way" was and is shocking. Whether one loves or hates him, it's difficult to ignore him.




No comments:

Post a Comment